Tuesday, January 06, 2009

That's What Words Are For


The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart,
and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored in his heart.
For out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks.
~Luke 6:45 (NIV)

The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just.
~Psalm 37:30

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding.
~Psalm 49:2-4


Words. I have made them my life. Since I was six, when I wrote my first song, till the 42 years I am now, words have been what has given me voice, framed my world, determined what I have been, given me a career, allowed me to touch hearts, been used to cut people down (bad!), and to give God praise.


That the utterance from my heart should give understanding, chastens me.


Lately I have been so annoyed at work that my words have been negative, mocking, and basically making my world more and more miserable. Instead my words should be positive, turning around what is bad - for I know there is power in the tongue.


This morning, waiting for the school bus with my friend and her daughter, we talked about a cancer patient who is feeling worse and worse - because she's feeling sorry for herself, saying things like "nobody cares about me" etc. Whatever you say, you get. My mom got better when she started helping others with cancer. Her cancer came back when she said it was going to.


What about me? How are my words framing my life in a good or bad way? My negative confessions about the boss are making things worse for me - she really does seem to have it in for me now! So - it is good in the office, my work is appreciated, I will be zai, I will be helpful, I will have fun for however long I remain in this place. I will be the salt and light, not the bitter pill.


I shall be the worldwide best-selling author of a fiction series.

I shall capture the exciting new world where West really meets East.

My heroes shall be righteous.

I shall be able to serve City News and Harvest Times effectively.

I shall be anointed to come up with a great campaign for Reborne.

I shall make $15,000 a month by the middle of this year.


I like these words :)


Lord, thank you that You have given us the power of the tongue - just like you, we have the ability to speak life or death into a situation, and help me to always speak life.


T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home